How To Make Baked Beans With Molasses
You might not realize it, but baked beans with molasses is quite easy to do. All you need are a few ingredients and you can create the dish in minutes. Let’s explore where we can find these ingredients and the reasons why this is a great side dish!
The history behind baked beans and molasses
Baked beans are one of America’s most popular comfort foods. What is Molasses? Molasses is a by-product of sugar production, and it’s used in baking to give the food a characteristic dark color and rich flavor. Early settlers in the United States were likely making baked beans from dried beans that had been soaked in water mixed with molasses. Today, many recipes call for canned baked beans, which are pre-packaged with a flavoring agent (usually tomato sauce or beef broth) and usually contain other ingredients as well (such as salt, spices, and preservatives). No matter how you make them, there’s no denying that baked beans are a classic.
Why is molasses so good for baked beans?
Molasses is high in sugar content, which gives baked beans their sweet flavor and dark color. Moreover, molasses contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that add nutritional value to the dish. Finally, molasses has a strong taste that complements other flavors in baked beans without overpowering them. In short, molasses makes perfect sense as an ingredient in baked beans!
How Do You Make Baked Beans With Molasses?
Baked beans are a classic comfort food that can be made with a variety of ingredients. This recipe uses molasses to give the beans a unique flavor and sweetness.
-1 cup dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
Add 1 cup white kidney beans
-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil, divided
-1 large onion, diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or jarred)
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine black beans or mung beans, white kidney beans, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil and the onion and garlic.
4. Pour the bean mixture into a baking dish.
5. Add the tomato sauce and stir well to combine.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once during baking, or until heated through.
Benefits of Baked Beans with Molasses
Baked beans are a classic comfort food. They’re easy to make and can be enjoyed any time of the year. There are many different ways to make baked beans, but one of the simplest is to use molasses as the main ingredient. It is a natural sweetener that gives baked beans their unique flavor and sweetness. Here are some benefits of using molasses in your baked beans:
-Molasses provides a rich flavor that is reminiscent of caramel.
-It has a low glycemic index, meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar levels after eating them.
-It’s a good source of nutrients, including potassium, iron, and magnesium.
-It is also a good source of fiber.
There are endless ways to enjoy baked beans, but molasses is a must for the classic flavor. This simple recipe is perfect for a summer barbecue or potluck dish.
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 large onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup dark beer (lager or stout)
-2 cups red kidney beans, rinsed and sorted
Add 1 cup white kidney beans, rinsed and sorted
-1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
-1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
-Salt and black pepper, to taste
-2 cups chicken broth
Molasses: 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses, 1 tablespoon cornstarch
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Next, add beer and bring to a boil.
5. Then add kidney beans, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes.
6. In small bowl, whisk molasses and cornstarch together until smooth.
7. Slowly add broth to bean mixture, whisking vigorously until smooth and slightly thick.
8. Bring to a boil; remove from heat, cover and let stand for at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
9. Spoon beans into baking dish and top with molasses mixture.
10. Bake for 10 minutes more to make it crisp on top..
Serve warm with cornbread if you like.
If you’re looking for a delicious and hearty side dish that can be prepared quickly and easily, then baked beans are the perfect option. Not only do they taste great, but they’re also very healthy – making them a perfect choice whether you’re trying to eat healthily or just want something filling and tasty. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to make baked beans with molasses – giving you all the tips and tricks necessary to make them a success.