Make fun food with these Pita Bowl, Pita Pizza and Pita Sandwich recipes
The pita bread, a Middle Eastern flatbread made of leavened dough, is used to make Lebanese ‘shawarma’ and other Levantine dishes such as a pita falafel. Also known as pitas or pitza in Greek and Kurdish areas respectively, ‘pita bread’ is usually topped with seasoned lamb, beef, chicken and vegetables. The cuisine of the Levant has a long and complex history and it is now found in many countries worldwide.
Where is the pita mostly used?
Pita, meaning ‘pocket’ in Arabic, is a flatbread made of flour, water, salt and oil. It’s common in Middle Eastern cuisine and can be filled with anything from meat to vegetables. In Israel, pita is often eaten as a sandwich bread and in America they are becoming even more popular as part of a pita bowl.
How to prepare a pita
There are different ways to fill a pita. You can put any kind of filling inside and top it with your favorite toppings.
Here are some ideas for you to get started:
-Tzatziki: Greek yogurt, chopped cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, dill, salt
-Falafel: ground chickpeas, spices, bread crumbs
-Gyro: ground lamb or beef, onions, tahini sauce
-Shawarma: chicken or lamb, onion, spices , lemon, salt
-Roasted vegetables: roasted peppers, mushrooms, onions, olive oil, salt
Pita Mediterranean street food (pita bowl)
Street food is always a good way to get your fix of Mediterranean flavors without having to go all the way to a Mediterranean country. In this case, we are taking our street food staple, the pita bread, and turning it into a bowl. From falafel, beef to chicken, pita bowls are all perfect for a quick and fun party dish. The pitas are the bowls where you add your favorite toppings into. The chicken and cheese in this recipe is a great start, but feel free to switch things up with some other favorites like falafel, minced beef, or even only grilled veggies.
-4 pita breads
-1 chicken breast, cut in pieces
-1/2 cup cooked lentils
-1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 garlic clove, minced
-1/2 tsp ground cumin
-Sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
-250 gram mature cheddar, shredded
-Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and diced onion optional
How to prepare:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Press the pitas into round oven-proof baking forms or cups to form bowl shape.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the lentils, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
4. In a large skillet bake the chicken including its seasoning over medium-high heat until cooked through.
5. Divide the lentils mixture among the pita bowls, top with chicken and cheese, and bake for another 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the pita bowls are hot and the chicken is melted cheese-y.
6. Serve with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onion and some fresh cream if desired.
Chicken pita pizza
Chicken Pita Pizza is a great way to satisfy your pizza craving without having to spend a lot of money. This dish consists of chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion and cheese on a pita bread crust. It is easy to make and can be ready in just minutes. You can also customize your pizza by adding different toppings or spices. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy meal or want to create something special, Chicken Pita Pizza is the perfect option.
– 4 pita bread
-1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
Add 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
-1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
-1/4 cup chopped onion
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-1 cup shredded provolone cheese
-1 cup tomato sauce
How to prepare:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil your chicken in some chicken stock for 15 minutes.
3. Shred the boiled chicken with 2 forks.
4. In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, olive oil, tomato sauce garlic powder salt and pepper.
5. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
6. Spread mixture evenly on each pita bread.
7. Sprinkle provolone cheese over the top of each pizza.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
Serve with some extra (spicy) tomato sauce on the side for dipping.
Pita falafel: a classic
Pita falafel is a popular street food in the Middle East and Mediterranean regions. Falafel are made from ground chickpeas that are mixed with spices and then formed into small balls. They are deep-fried until golden brown and served on a warm pita bread, often with tahini sauce and pickled vegetables.
Pita falafel is a delicious and versatile dish that you can enjoy it for its simple yet flavorful ingredients. As a snack or main course, it’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for something light and healthy, or want to enjoy a bit of traditional Arab cuisine, pita falafel is definitely worth trying out!
– 1 cup cooked chickpeas
-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 large egg, beaten
-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 teaspoon cumin
-Olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
How to prepare:
1. In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas until they are coarsely ground.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and pulse until the mixture is just combined.
3. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, parsley, garlic, and cumin.
5. Pour the batter into the food processor and pulse until well combined.
6. The mixture should be thick but still able to flow easily.
7. In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, heat olive oil or vegetable oil until hot.
8. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet and spread it out with your fingers.
9. Cook for 2 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.
10. Remove from the skillet and repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve warm on pita breads with tahini and garlic sauce and pickled vegetables, if desired.
Pita bread sandwich recipe
There’s something about a pita bread sandwich that just calls to us. It’s simple, but so addictive. And the best part is that you can customize it to fit your taste bud! Whether you want to go with a classic chicken and tomato pita sandwich or something more unique like a lamb and tzatziki pita, there’s definitely a sandwich for you. The ingredients depends on if you prefer your pita sandwich hot or cold. Plus, they’re easy to make so don’t feel guilty indulging in one every once in a while!
-Shredded cheese (cheddar, blue cheese, feta)
-Fresh herbs (basil, mint, parsley)
-Extra virgin olive oil
-Salt and pepper
How to prepare:
1. Start by spreading some shredded cheese inside each pita bread.
2. Top with chopped tomatoes and fresh herbs. drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve with some salad leaves and some lemon yogurt sauce on the side for dipping.
Hummus and pita bread are friends forever
This simple dish is a delicious and healthy way to eat lunch or dinner. You can make it with any type of vegetables, but we recommend using our favorite combination: roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
How to prepare:
1. Start by blending all of the ingredients together in a food processor or blender.
2. If you want a smoother texture, you can also use an immersion blender.
3. Once everything is blended together, store the hummus in an airtight container in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow it to thicken up a bit.
To assemble the pita, start by spreading some hummus on one side of your pita bread. Then top that with your desired toppings (we recommend using our recommended combo). Or of course just dip your grilled pita in the hummus and enjoy!
Pita is a healthy bread that you can enjoy at home. It is filled with all sorts of toppings, and the sauce makes it taste fantastic. These recipes are easy to follow, so don’t hesitate to make it for your next family gathering or party.
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy street food option, then look no further than the pita bowl. This dish is packed with flavor, and it can be enjoyed by everyone in your family.