Ginger Snaps: What They Are, How to Prepare Them, and the Best 2 Recipes
Ginger snaps are a popular cookie made with ginger, sugar and molasses and baked until they’re golden brown. They have a crisp texture on the surface while being chewy in the middle. Ginger snaps are best served warm and fresh from the oven. Find out more about this cookie favorite in this article!
What are Ginger Snaps?
Ginger snaps are a type of cookie you typically make with molasses, ginger, and spices. They are often crisp and have a slightly spicy flavor. Ginger snaps are popular in the United States and Canada. You can make them by rolling dough into a cylinder, then flattening it out into a rectangle. The ginger snaps are then rolled up and pressed together. The snaps are baked and the ends are usually not cut off after they have been baked. The cookies often have a cross-hatch design on top while they are still hot, which burns or creates cross-hatches in the cookie.
Ginger is native to Asia but is now globally spread. It is cultivated in tropical regions throughout the world like India, South Africa, Indonesia, Jamaica, Mauritius and other countries of Africa and even China. Much of this ginger is dried or used to make delicious pickled ginger recipes due to its relatively short season for fresh consumption.
Preparation for making ginger snaps
Making ginger snaps is easy, but there are a few things you need to do beforehand to make sure they turn out perfectly. First, preheat your oven to the temperature specified in your recipe. Next, gather all of the ingredients you’ll need – including molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Finally, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Once you have everything ready to go, simply mix the ingredients together and drop them by the spoonful onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure to leave enough space between each ginger snap so that they have room to spread as they bake. Then, all that’s left to do is pop them in the oven and wait for them to be done!
How to make ginger snaps
Ginger snaps are a delicious and easy treat to make at home. The key to making great ginger snaps is to use fresh ginger, and to get the right balance of spices to create sweet ginger. This recipe uses a combination of ground ginger, cinnamon, and allspice to create a perfectly spiced cookie. These cookies are also nice and chewy, thanks to the addition of molasses. If you like your cookies a little bit sweeter, you can add more sugar to the recipe. Just be sure not to overdo it, or the cookies will be too sweet.
Best recipes for ginger snaps
There are many different recipes out there, but we’ve compiled the best of the best for you. These ginger snaps recipes are easy to follow and will produce delicious ginger snaps that your friends and family will love.
Old-Fashioned Ginger Snaps
The first recipe comes is for Old-Fashioned Ginger Snaps. This recipe yields about 36 cookies, so it’s perfect for a large gathering.
The ingredients you’ll need are:
Add 1 cup butter, softened
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 cup molasses
-2 tablespoons water
-2 teaspoons baking soda
-4 teaspoons ground ginger
-3 cups all-purpose flour
How to prepare:
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
2. Add the egg, molasses, and water and mix well
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the baking soda, ginger, and flour.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
5. Roll the dough into balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.
7. Let cool on a wire rack. Store in a cookie jar or an airtight container.
These ginger snaps are best when they’re warm, so make sure to eat them as soon as they come out of the oven! Enjoy!
Chewy Gingerbread Cookies recipe
A second named recipe for ginger snaps is the ‘Chewy Gingerbread Cookies‘ recipe from the ‘Ginger Snaps: What They Are, How to Make Them, and the Best Recipe’ blog post. This recipe makes chewy gingerbread cookies that are perfect for the holiday season.
The key ingredients in this recipe are molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. These spices give the cookies a deep flavor that is perfect for the winter months. The cookies are also coated in sugar, which gives them a crisp outer layer.
These cookies are very easy to make and require no dough chilling, so you can have gingerbread cookies in your own kitchen in a matter of hours.
The Ingredients to make Chewy Gingerbread cookies
A second named recipe for ginger snaps requires the following ingredients:
-1 cup of unsalted butter, melted (110ºF);
-2 cups of whole wheat flour;
-1 cup of dark brown sugar, packed;
-½ teaspoon of baking soda;
-¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon;
-½ teaspoon of salt;
Add ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves;
-¼ teaspoon of grated nutmeg;
-¼ teaspoon of ground ginger;
-3 tablespoons molasses.
An optional ingredient you can use is 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
How to prepare:
1. Mix ¼ teaspoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of water.
2. Use an electric beater to mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and ground ginger into a large bowl.
3. Mix in ¾ cup of the melted butter until it is well blended.
4. Stir in the molasses and 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar.
5. The powdered sugar provides additional sweetness to the mixture as does molasses.
6. Pour in most of the remaining butter (about ? cup). It will help hold everything together.
7. Add ¼ teaspoon baking soda mixed with two tablespoons water after all of the remaining ingredients are mixed into one bowl.
8. Stir until it is well blended into a smooth dough . The mixture will be very soft in texture.
9. Pour it into cookie forms and cover them with aluminum foil.
10. Bake the cookies in a preheated 350 degree oven for one hour to an hour and ten minutes or until the cookies has risen, are firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
They can be served warm or at room temperature. Spread apple butter on each slice.
Types of Recipes for Ginger Apple Snaps
There are many different types of recipes for ginger apple snaps, so if you’re just starting out, it can be hard to know which one to try. Here are six recipes that will get you started:
1. Sweet and Spicy Snap: Start with a basic snap recipe, but add 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
2. Cranberry-Ginger Snap: For an autumn flavor, add 1 cup chopped cranberries to the dough.
3. Maple-Pecan Snaps: Topped with a maple glaze, these snaps are perfect for the holidays.
4. Orange-Spice Snaps: Add 1 teaspoon grated orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger to the dough.
5. Gingered Pear Snaps: Replace the apples in the snap with 2 cups peeled and chopped pears.
6. Ginger Peach Snaps: Use 2 cups peeled and chopped peaches in place of the apples.
Final thoughts about Ginger Snaps
Is there anything better than a warm, gooey ginger snap cookie? I think not! Ginger Snaps are the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth and have a delicious, chewy treat all at the same time.